Robotics / Automation
COMMON USES / COMMON PROBLEMS SOLVED
- Eliminate the need for employees to perform repetitive tasks
- Pick and place or materials handling
- Machine tending
- Simple sorting
- Packaging of product
COBOTS COULD BE A GOOD FIT IF:
- You have many repetitive tasks
- You can’t keep people engaged because the work is too repetitive
- You want to free up your employees for other tasks
- You have an environment where the cobots would work in close proximity to people
- You need to move cobots to different locations frequently
COBOTS MIGHT NOT BE A GOOD FIT IF:
- The items you are working with are too small or too large for the robot
- The items you are working with are too heavy for the robot to lift
- Cobot could get easily damaged in your work environment
- You are looking for very fine-tuned or complex object manipulation
What are the restrictions on this technology?
- Weight restrictions apply depending on the model of cobot being used
- Challenges working in a dusty or excessively dirty environment
- Complex part manipulation is not generally possible
Will I need special equipment to operate this technology?
- Some applications require an air compressor for end effector operation
Do I need any special training or certification to operate this technology? If so, what?
- Training on how to program the cobot is required, but can typically be learned with little to no programming experience.
THE FACTORY OF TOMORROW EXPERIENCE
- ‘Pick and place’ movement of materials (tool chuck) to a workbench for the start of assembly. This is done by the Sawyer robot.
EQUIPMENT IN THE LAB
The Factory of Tomorrow demonstrates real-world applications in a low volume, high mix environment. Made possible by our partnerships with national, regional, state, and local organizations, The Factory of Tomorrow is here to offer new opportunities for the real-world application of advanced manufacturing technologies.
Integrated technologies demonstrate that Smart Factories and Industry 4.0 advanced technologies are within reach for small and mid-sized manufacturers. Learn more and visit the lab >