What is National Manufacturing Day?
Manufacturing Day (MFG Day) is a celebration of modern manufacturing meant to inspire the next generation of manufacturers. Designed to expand knowledge about the manufacturing industry’s economic impact on Oregon and the high-paying jobs available in the state, National Manufacturing Day officially occurs on the first Friday in October. However, ANY day can be manufacturing day. OMEP works with industry partners to coordinate learning tours and free educational events across the state. Learn More about National Manufacturing Day
As a manufacturer, MFG Day is an opportunity to tell your company’s story, dispel outdated myths about manufacturers, and connect with potential customers in your community. Manufacturing day producers nationally and locally will promote your open house or other event through general and trade media campaigns, which will alert thousands to visit manufacturers to see that North American manufacturing is a vibrant career path, and employers need skilled workers.
By the Numbers
- Over 2,000 students across the state attended over 60 events in 2015
- This event has increased in participation steadily over the last 4 years
- Over 2,000 events take place nationally for MFG Day
- $18.1 billion in manufactured goods exports
- 186,400 Oregonians with manufacturing jobs
- Second nationally in the proportion of state GDP generated by the manufacturing sector (25.9% compared to 12% nationally)
- 30,000 jobs to replace by 2022 due to retirements and industry growth